By: Ik Ogbonna.
As the search for the next governor of Imo State gradually heats up, various groups have been intensifying the search for a man who can lead Imo State into uncommon prosperity and development such as was witnessed under Dee Sam Mbakwe and in other states like Ebonyi, Rivers, Anambra, Lagos of recent.
Political leaders with the passion for selfless service are rare gifts from God and very difficult to find in our clime and time. Many political analysts and pundits so far have recommended men fresh ideas and pedigree that can steer Imo out of its current quagmire.
Based on the qualities recommended so far, it’s gradually becoming clearer where the pendulum is swinging to. One man is clearly and undoubtedly endowed with the unbeatable qualities and credentials to clean the rot of leadership deficit in Imo State, and he is SENATOR SAMUEL NNAEMEKA ANYANWU (Samdaddy).
Born on 18th June, 1965 in Amaimo Ikeduru LGA of Imo State. SamDaddy, as he is fondly called had his primary education at Central School Amaimo before proceeding to Amaimo High School. Samuel Anyanwu later proceeded to the University of Port Harcourt where he studied Political Science and Administrative Studies.
The political sojourn of SamDaddy started in 2003 with his appointment as Transition Committee Chairman of Ikeduru LGA. In 2004, he was elected Executive Chairman of Ikeduru LGA and Secretary of Association of Local Governments of Nigeria (ALGON). Owing to his superlative performance as Council Chairman, he was christened “ACTION” by his colleagues and fans for his leadership wonders.
SamDaddy was elected into Imo State House of Assembly in 2007 and was appointed the House Committee Chairman on Ethics and Privileges. He was re-elected for a second tenure in 2011.
The people of Owerri zone saw the sterling legislative qualities of SamDaddy as a state legislator and decided to promote him to the Senate during the 2015 general elections. A rare feat in Imo State yet to be beaten till date. Samdaddy is a jinx breaker.
In the Senate, SamDaddy’s legislative experience earned him Chairman of the Senate Committee on Ethics, Privileges and Public Petitions where he performed excellently. This Committee never thrived until Samdaddy chaired it no minding the fact that he was a first timer then. But again, Samdaddy broke the jinx as a first time Senator to head such a sensitive Committee. He was also Vice Chairman of three different Senate Committees where he brought his leadership qualities to bear.
The legislative experience of SamDaddy earned him the National Assembly Press Corps “Best Senate Committe Chairman Award” in 2016. SamDaddy has won several awards in recognition of his outstanding performance in leadership and development which are too numerous to mention.
In a bid to ensure good governance and development in Owerri zone, the South East and Nigeria at large, the following BILLS were sponsored by Senator SamDaddy:
- Bill for an Act to Establish the South East Development Commission (SEDC).
2.Bill for an Act to Establish Postgraduate Physiotherapy College of Nigeria
- Bill for an Act to Establish Alvan Ikoku Federal University of Education, Owerri (From College to University)
- A Re-Enactment Bill on the Public Complaints Commission Act, CAP P37 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria.
- A Bill for an Act to Establish The Federal Task Force on Revenue Defaulters, Piracy and National Heritage Protection of Nigeria.
Senator SamDaddy has also sponsored the following MOTIONS on the floor of the Senate:
- Passing a vote of confidence on the leadership of the 8th Senate. A landmark motion which stabilized the squabbles that engulfed the Senate following the emergence of Bukola Saraki of APC, as President and Ike Ekweremadu of PDP, as Deputy Senate President contrary to the wishes of APC leadership.
- Mandating State Governors to conduct Local Government Elections on assumption of office.
- The urgent need for the Senate to look into the Amnesty Programme Performance in the Niger Delta region (Imo state inclusive as oil producing state)
- The Looming crises in the Aviation Industry, a potential danger to Air safety and operations.
- The pertinent need to Establish Modern Abattoirs across the states of the Federation.
- Recruitment into the Nigerian Police Force, the need to adhere to Federal Character guiding principles etc.
In his quest to bring development to Owerri zone, Senator SamDaddy attracted and facilitated the following CONSTITUENCY PROJECTS:
- Construction of solar powered borehole at Timber Building Materials Market
- Construction of Atta – Amaimo – Obohia, Afor Ogbe road, Ulakwo Junction – Seat of Wisdom Seminary Road,
- Construction of Ring roads in “Area H” New Owerri known as Goddy Esom Obodo Road
- Construction of Eke Nguru Orie Ihitte road
- Construction of Nkwerre Street road at Works Layout, Owerri Municipal
- Sinking of solar powered boreholes at Arugo Park, Umuokpu Emeabiam, Amakohia Ubi, Ulakwo Enyiogugu, and Umudagu Mbieri respectively.
- Installation of Transformer at Obohia Ekwerazu in Ahiazu Mbaise, Don K neighborhood, etc
- Renovation of community Primary School Ogbe Nneishi, Ahiara
- Provision of Cold Room facility at Afor Ogbe
- Construction/Fencing with gate of St. Patrick’s Primary School Umuokirika Ekwerazu
- Completion of Nnarambia Farmers’ Cooperative Town Hall, Ahiara Mbaise
- Construction of a block of 2 Classrooms with Office and store at Town School Umuedo Obohia , Ekwerazu
- Construction of roads links/ bridges between Ogwuama community, Ahiazu Mbaise and Okwu Ikeduru
- Construction of Water Borehole at Nnemere Mpam, Ahiazu Mbaise
- Construction of Solar Powered Water borehole at Umuduruji Umuokirika, Ahiazu Mbaise
- Renovation of Community Primary School Egberede Nguru
- Provision of Cold-room facility at Afor-Ajala Market, Nguru
- Construction of solar powered borehole at St. Michael’s Catholic Church Olakwo Enyiogugu
- Design/construction of Eke Nguru-Eziala –Ihitte road, 4km
- Construction of Solar –powered borehole at Egberede Nguru
- Renovation of Oke Ovuru Secondary School
- Construction of Solar Powered Borehole at Afor Enyiogugu Market Square
- Construction of motorized borehole at Umuogu Amuzu
- Construction of Civic Centre at Umungakwu Egberede Nguru
- Construction of Solar powered borehole at Nkwo Eziudo
- Renovation of Community Primary School Oboama
- Design/Construction of Ihitte to Orie Onuoha Onicha road, 10km
- Design/Construction of Ihitte to Eke Nguru road – 4km
- Construction of solar powered borehole at Umualigbuo Ubonukam Onicha
- Construction of Motorized borehole at Nkwo Mbaise market square
- Attracting Rural roads and water sanitation under Ministry of Agriculture across Owerri zone
- Emergency repairs and rehabilitation of Awaka –Ezeogba Emekuku Mbaise –Umuahia road (this road was fixed after Imo state government abandoned it)
- Emergency repairs and rehabilitation of Akabo-Ekemele road (this road was fixed when it became unbearable for vehicle users. Remember that the Imo state government abandoned it)
- Emergency repairs/ rehabilitation of Nkwerre Street, Works Layout, Owerri
- Design/Construction of Ikeduru Afor-Oru-Afor-Ogbe road
- Construction of Owerri–Aba with spur at Ulakwo junction to Seat of Wisdom seminary Okpala
- Rehabilitation of Aba-Owerri road with spur at Ulakwo-Umuneke road, Ngor-Okpala
- Construction of hostel blocks at Alvan Ikoku Federal College of Education and the
Federal Polytechnic Nekede, Owerri respectively
- Development of Industrial Leather Cluster at Ikeduru LGA
- Construction of Civic Centre at Mechanic Village Owerri
- Skill Acquisition, facilitation of Employment and Empowerment of Youths in Owerri Zone
- Training and empowerment of youths in the production of renewable energy
- Construction of a block of 2 classrooms with Office and Store at Amaimo Central School, Ikeduru LGA
- Construction of Palm Oil Processing Plant with complete accessories at Egbelu Ikeduru LGA
- Design/Construction of Orie Akabor to Afor Uzoagba, Ikeduru 7km
- Construction of road with link Bridge (Onuakpaka) between Okwu Ikeduru and Ogwuama Community in Ahiazu Mbaise
- Design/Construction of Nkwo Emekuku – Uzoagba – Ngugo road, 7Km
- Design/Construction of New Owerri Internal road
- Construction of Mini-Sports Stadium at Amaimo Ikeduru LGA
- Construction of Primary Health Care Centre at Ugirike, Ikeduru LGA
- Construction of Eke Nguru Aboh Mbaise to Eziala Ihitte, Ezinihitte Mbaise
- Construction of Ikeduru to Afor Ogbe in Ahiazu Mbaise
- Construction of Uratta Toronto junction to Orji Okigwe Road
- Construction of Orie Akabo-Afor Uzoagba road 7km
- Construction of Obazu Mbieri-Iho road 5km
- Construction Of Ogbaku Ifakala-Nworieubi Rd.
- Construction of Orji – Nkwerre st. -Mechanic village 5km.
- Construction of Iwuanyanwu Boulevard Internal roads 6km
- Construction of Ahiazu-Aboh Mbaise to Emekuku Ring road 18km
- Construction of Amaimo Internal roads 6km.
- Construction of Oforola – FECOLART road.
- Construction of Ahiara Mbaise – Lude- Obohia/Ikeduru road 6km
- Erosion/ Flood control works at Ihitte Ubi Oparanadim in Ahiazu Mbaise amongst other achievements too numerous to mention here.
These outstanding legislative performance cum constituency projects facilitated by Senator Samuel Nnaemeka Anyanwu indicates a man that never sleeps on duty. He alive and committed to the service of God almighty, and as well as the well being of his people through sponsorship of quality bills and motions. He ensured equitable distribution of his constituency projects in the form social amenities and infrastructures to the communities that make up his constituency. In the area of jobs and empowerment, Senator he ensured that every community in his constituency benefited. This is the kind of man Imolites are yearning for; a man who will see the whole of Imo State as his constituency.
Today, Senator Samuel Nnaemeka Anyanwu is the National Secretary of PDP and he has been working tirelessly to strengthen the party in Imo State and Nigeria by wooing more people into the party. As at today, the PDP has been properly projected and positioned to assume the presidency in the next general election.
During his grand civic reception as PDP National Secretary in Owerri, the mood of the mammoth crowd that gathered in his honour spoke volumes; the billboards, banners and placards everywhere “spoke” louder. The overwhelming joy in Imo State on that day indicates that Imolites are really awaiting the emergence of SamDaddy. They need his sterling leadership qualities to clean the rot of bad governance that’s currently stinking in all parts of Imo State.
Yes, many well meaning Imolites have been calling on Senator SamDaddy to listen to the yearnings of Imolites and make himself available for this all important task of pulling Imo out of the current quagmire and leadership vacuum, corruption and bad leadership.
Imolites will continue to pray until SamDaddy answers the clarion call to lead Imo out of the woods.
Yes, SamDaddy can!
It’s not out of place to say he is the governor Imo State is searching for in 2024.
SamDaddy was an ACTION CHAIRMAN, VIBRANT LEGISLATOR, OUTSTANDING NATIONAL SECRETARY, STATESMAN, PATRIOT & PROGRESSIVE POLITICIAN. Honestly, Imo can be great Imo with SamDaddy!
Ik Ogbonna is an Owerri based Journalist and PR Consultant.